This post dating originally to 2016 has become a meeting place for people who worked here and some recent comments have come in so we’ve updated the post.
RAFG0 photo by David Thompson
who served as an ops clerk at ATCC Gloucester from 1955 to 1957 and in the Spring of 1956 took this photo showing the Centre from the outside across Eastern Avenue.
“Overseas Aircraft Control was at Eastern Avenue, Barnwood, Gloucester. It formed out of Overseas Air Movement Control on 15.8.41. The latter unit had been formed on 9.9.40 at the same location. Its duty was to control non-operational flights operating outside UK airspace, including the then small number of aircraft from North America. The location was due to the nearby W/T station at Birdlip. OAC carried on the function under RAF Ferry Command No 44 Group after 15.8.41 and by 1943 controlled all non-opl aircraft approaching or leaving the UK to south or west for approx 1,000 miles.”
Source: Air-Britain’s Flying Training and Support Units since 1912. David Smith
RAFG4 taken in August 1944 – Les Tranter